Eastern launches Apple PayFebruary 13, 2017
Eastern Bank launches Apple Pay for customers
Apple's new mobile payment service is latest offering from tech-driven Eastern
BOSTON, July 28, 2015 – Eastern Bank customers now have access to Apple Pay™, the new mobile payments service from Apple® that provides an easy and secure way to pay with an iPhone®, iPad® or Apple Watch™, the bank announced today.
With Apple Pay, bank customers can add their Eastern Bank Debit MasterCard® and use their iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 3 to pay in person without physically swiping the actual card.
“Eastern Bank is committed to making banking easier for our customers by offering innovative technologies such as Apple Pay,” said Richard E. Holbrook, Chairman and CEO, Eastern Bank. “As more people turn to their mobile device for services of all kinds, we’re there to provide the best financial solutions for our customers.”
With the introduction of Apply Pay, Eastern customers can now pay just by holding their iPhone near a contactless reader with their finger on Touch ID™ or enter a passcode and their transaction will be authenticated in seconds.
With today’s Apple Pay rollout, Eastern continues to build upon its history of putting digital technologies first to make banking easier for its customers:
• In May 2015, Eastern became the first company in North America and the first bank in the United States to identify callers by the sound of their voice in its Customer Service Center (1-800-EASTERN);
• In April 2014, the bank established Eastern Labs, a research and development group that uses the digital and data assets of the company to build a broader platform for innovation in financial services;
• Since 2013, Eastern has opened three “branch-of-the-future” prototypes, including one that shares space with a pizza parlor on a college campus, that lean heavily on digital services;
• In 2012, Eastern was among the first wave of financial institutions in the country to offer mobile check deposit;
• In 2007, Eastern was among the first banks in the United States to offer mobile banking.
Apple, Apple Pay, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Touch ID are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Other company names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
About Eastern Bank
Founded in 1818 and based in Boston, Eastern Bank is the largest and oldest mutual bank in the country, with $9.5 billion in assets and more than 100 branches serving communities in eastern Massachusetts and southern and coastal New Hampshire. Eastern Bank offers banking, investments and insurance all under one roof, and prides itself on working harder to understand its customers’ needs so it can deliver these services in a committed and personal way. Eastern Bank, which includes Eastern Bank Wealth Management and Eastern Insurance, is a recognized leader in corporate social responsibility and for its advocacy on behalf of a number of social justice causes.
For more information, contact: Andrew Ravens, Public Relations, Eastern Bank, 781-598-8528, or e-mail Andrew Ravens.
You can also learn more about Eastern Bank by visiting www.easternbank.com, www.facebook.com/easternbank or www.twitter.com/easternbank.