Enjoy the freedom of flexibility with the Eastern FlexEquity® Account
Enjoy a home equity line of credit with a little extra good.
Our Eastern FlexEquity® Account helps you use the equity in your home with a smart, flexible payment option. All backed by a great variable or fixed rate.
You'll have the flexibility to convert your line into five separate loans- giving you the option for the predictability of fixed rates and monthly payments. Plus, you'll be able to borrow as often as you like through the draw period as you pay back your line. There's no need to reapply
Apply online quickly and easily today. Or, call 1-800-EASTERN to contact us directly.
Variable Rate Option1 As Low As 4.25% APR
PRIME- 0.50% APR
Minimum draw of $25,000
Fixed-Rate Option2 4.05% APR
Based on 15-year fixed rate
Minimum draw of $70,000
Introducing a smart, flexible way to borrow.
Borrow with peace of mind. Get a low rate and flexible borrowing options with the Eastern FlexEquity® Account.
See How Much You Can Borrow
Quickly and easily calculate the maximum amount you're eligible to borrow. Results are based on an 80% loan-to-value ratio, but you can always borrow less.
Note: Total amount owed includes both your mortgage and any additional home loans.
Sorry you do not have enough equity in your home.
Head to your local Eastern Bank or request more information here.
Calculate Your Payments
If you're looking for a fixed rate, we can show you what your monthly payment may be.1 If you'd rather go with a variable rate, we can show you the total amount of interest you'll owe.2
Get the nuts and bolts on home equity
Wondering how you can use the Eastern FlexEquity® Account or what sets it apart?
Check out this video to see how we’ve got you covered.
An Eastern FlexEquity® Account offers these benefits, including:
- The flexibility to convert your line into five separate loans, giving you the predictability of fixed rates and fixed monthly payments. View an example of how to put FlexEquity to work for you.
- The ability to borrow as often as you like as you pay back your line. There’s no need to reapply.
- Interest-only payment options on the home equity line1 for easier budgeting.
- An easy application process.
- A choice of fixed-rate loan terms when you lock in your line.
- Convenient online access through Eastern Online Banking.
- Potential tax savings.2
- Consolidated monthly statements.
Before applying, we encourage you to carefully read the following important disclosures:
Important Facts About Our Home Equity Lines
What You Should know About Home Equity Lines of Credit
- The interest rate adjusts monthly based on the Wall Street Journal prime rate for the life of the line (4.75% APR on 5/1/2018). Maximum annual percentage rate (APR) is 18%. Minimum line $10,000; maximum line $2,500,000. Lines are available for owner-occupied primary or secondary residences only (1-4 family or condo) in first or second lien position only. Combined loan to value limits apply. Property insurance is required. Flood insurance may be required. Homes on the market or to be sold are not eligible. Equity lines are subject to $50 annual participation fee (waived for Premier Checking customers) and $350 early cancellation fee if the line is closed or rewritten within two years of opening. Customer is responsible for trust review and recording fees when properties are held in trust, and for appraisal fees for lines $250,000 or higher. Subject to credit application and approval. Rates are subject to change. Speak with a representative or call 1-800-EASTERN (327-8376) for more information or to apply.
- Consult your tax advisor about deductibility of interest.
Flex Equity Account
|Revolving Line of Credit||• Prime
• Prime - 0.50%2
- The interest rate adjusts monthly based on the Wall Street Journal prime rate for the life of the line (4.75% APR on 5/1/2018). Maximum annual percentage rate (APR) is 18%.
- Prime - 0.50% APR requires a minimum draw of $25,000 and automatic payment from an Eastern Bank account.
Flex Account Fixed Rate Options
You have the flexibility to convert your line into as many as five separate loans, giving you the predictability of fixed rates and fixed monthly payments. Below are fixed rate option payment examples for various terms. Minimum loan amount for fixed rate options is $10,000.
|Fixed Rate Option 1||
|Fixed Rate Option 2||
|Fixed Rate Option 3||
|Fixed Rate Option 4||
1. A $50,000 loan at 5.05% APR for 5 years requires 60 monthly payments of $944.71.
A $70,000 loan at 3.75% APR for 5 years requires 60 monthly payments of $1,281.27.
2. A $50,000 loan at 5.25% APR for 10 years requires 120 monthly payments of $536.46.
A $70,000 loan at 3.95% APR for 10 years requires 120 monthly payments of $707.06.
3. A $50,000 loan at 5.45%APR for 15 years requires 180 monthly payments of $407.22.
A $70,000 loan at 4.05%APR for 15 years requires 180 monthly payments of $519.54.
4. A $50,000 loan at 6.05% APR for 20 years requires 240 monthly payments of $359.66.
A $70,000 loan at 4.75% APR for 20 years requires 240 monthly payments of $452.36.
1. What is home equity?
Home equity is the difference between the current value of the home and the total amount owed on the home. For example if a house is worth $400,000 and there is a mortgage of $300,000 the home equity is $100,000. ($400,000 value - $300,000 owed = $100,000 home equity)
2. How is an Eastern FlexEquity account different from other equity products?
At most banks you must choose either a revolving line of credit OR a fixed-rate loan. With a fixed-rate loan, you receive all your funds when you obtain your loan and make monthly payments of a fixed amount until the loan has been paid off. An equity line is a revolving account with a credit limit established by the bank, and you can use and repay your line as needed. Unlike with a loan, the minimum monthly payment on an equity line can be as little as the interest owed on the outstanding balance. With Eastern Bank’s FlexEquity account, you decide how you want to use your line and repay what you have borrowed.
3. What is the interest rate for an Eastern FlexEquity account?
The Eastern FlexEquity account revolving line has a variable interest rate that can change monthly. Each fixed-rate loan associated with the account has a rate equal to an Index plus a Margin. Specific information about rates and pricing can be found in the “Important Facts About Our Home Equity Lines."
4. Will I need a home appraisal?
Generally an appraisal is required for most requests, however lower loan amounts and/or strong equity positions may allow the use of tax assessments or automated appraisals to determine property value.
5. Are there any fees for the Eastern FlexEquity account?
Yes, there is a $350 early cancellation fee if you close your account within two years of opening it. If you simply pay off your balance (revolving and/or fixed loans) and leave your account open, there is no cancellation fee. There is also a $50 annual participation fee that is waived if you have an Eastern Premier Checking account.
6. When can I use my Eastern FlexEquity account?
Once your credit application has been approved (which is often in just a few days), you can complete your loan at any of our banking offices. (All property owners and borrowers must sign the documents.) Because an Eastern FlexEquity account is secured by a mortgage on your residence, a three-day right to cancel is required, and then you can draw on your line as often as you like through the draw period– up to your credit limit. You decide when and whether to change the entire balance or a portion of your balance into a fixed-rate loan.
7. How do I access the funds from my Eastern FlexEquity line?
Simply use one of the checks that you receive when you open your Eastern FlexEquity account. Or sign up to access your account through Eastern Online Banking, where you can view all your accounts as well as make payments and transfers.
8. How will I know how much I have available on my revolving line and how much is in my fixed-rate loans?
You will receive a monthly statement for your Eastern FlexEquity account that contains details on each portion of your account – the revolving line of credit and any fixed-rate loans. The transactions for each portion of your account, including advances, payments, and interest rate, will be itemized on this combined statement so you can keep track of exactly how much you owe and how much you still have available on your line.
For example: You open a $100,000 Eastern FlexEquity account and draw $25,000 from your line with your equity checks. You then ask to fix $15,000 of that in a fixed-rate Loan. Your Eastern FlexEquity revolving line will show a $10,000 balance and $75,000 available. Your fixed-rate loan will show a $15,000 balance.
9. How do I make payments to my line or loan(s)?
Each month you will receive a convenient Eastern FlexEquity account statement. If your payments are set up for autopay, they will be made automatically and you won’t receive additional billing notices.
If you do NOT authorize automatic payments, simply use the bill from your monthly statement to make the payment due on your revolving line and the separate billing notices you receive for each fixed-rate loan.
If you use a bill pay service or pay your accounts on-line, you must set up each portion of your account separately, including the complete account number and note number for each portion.
10. Can I link my Eastern FlexEquity account with my Eastern Premier Checking account for balance purposes?
Yes, equity line and loan balances count toward your qualifying Eastern Premier balances. And with an Eastern Premier Checking account, the $50 annual participation fee for your Eastern Flex Equity account is waived.
11. What if I have another line or second mortgage at another bank?
In most cases we will pay off that line or loan from the proceeds of your new Eastern FlexEquity. We will obtain and process the payoff. If you receive a “discharge” document from the bank we paid off, it should have instructions regarding how to record that document. When you pay and close an Eastern Bank Equity account, we also issue a “discharge” that you are responsible for recording with the appropriate registry of deeds.
1. The interest rate adjusts monthly based on the Wall Street Journal prime rate for the life of the line (4.75% APR on 5/1/2018). Prime -0.50% is available only with a minimum draw of $25,000 and establishing automatic payments through an Eastern Bank checking account. If you cancel automatic payments your interest rate will revert to the Wall Street Journal prime rate and will adjust for the life of the loan. Maximum annual percentage rate (APR) is 18%. Minimum line $10,000; maximum line $2,500,000. Lines are available for owner-occupied primary or secondary residences only (1-4 family or condo) in first or second lien position only. Combined loan to value limits apply. Property insurance is required. Flood insurance may be required. Homes on the market or to be sold in the next 12 months are not eligible. Subject to credit application and approval. Rates are subject to change. Speak with a representative or call 1-800-EASTERN (327-8376) for more information or to apply.
2. The rate of 4.05% for 15 years requires a minimum loan amount of $70,000 and 180 payments of $519.54 as of 5/1/2018. This payment does not include property taxes or insurance which may cause your payment to be higher. Lower borrowing limits are available but other rates and terms may apply.
3. Equity lines are subject to $50 annual participation fee (waived for Premier Checking customers). The bank pays title Search and Title Insurance unless the amount borrowed is greater than $750,000, then customer may incur a Title Insurance fee of $2.50 per thousand; Appraisal fees may apply in instances where the line is $250,000 or higher, is a multifamily or complex property in which case customer will incur an appraisal fee up to $675.
4. In addition, certain fees could apply depending on your situation. For instance, customer is responsible for trust and power of attorney review ($100 each) and recording fees when properties are held in trust ($75- $93). A $350 early cancellation fee applies if the line is closed or rewritten within two years of opening. An itemized list of fees is available upon request.
Eastern Bank is a member of the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System & Registry (NMLS) ID#451827.