Reporting Fraud

If you suspect identity theft or fraud involving any of your Eastern Bank accounts, including your ATM or debit card, please notify us immediately.  You may either call 1-800-EASTERN (1-800-327-8376) or visit your nearest branch. Based on the information you provide, we may recommend that you close your account and obtain a new account number.


  • As you contact the organizations mentioned on this page, keep a log of all conversations, including dates, names, and phone numbers.  Note the time spent and any expenses you incur in case you are able to request restitution in a later judgment or conviction against the thief. Confirm conversations in writing. 
  • Send correspondence by certified mail, return receipt requested.
  • Keep copies of all letters and documents.

Credit Bureaus

  • You should also immediately contact the toll-free fraud number of any of the three credit bureaus to have a fraud alert placed on your credit report, including a statement that creditors should get your permission before opening any new accounts in your name.
  • Fraud alerts can help prevent an identity thief from opening more accounts in your name. You only need to contact one of the three companies to place an alert.
  • The credit bureau you call is required to contact the other two. Fraud alerts are usually placed for 60 to 90 days, but you can request that the time period be extended to 7 years.

Report Fraud







Federal Trade Commission
You may also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by phone: 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338); online: ; or by mail:

Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580

The FTC's Identity Theft website is a one-stop national resource that provides detailed information to help people protect themselves from identity theft and helps victims of identity theft repair damage to their credit records. A uniform affidavit form is available on this site that most creditors will accept.

Local Police and Sheriff's Department

  • You should also contact your local police or sheriff's department to report the crime.
  • Ask for a copy of the report. 
  • When you provide your police report to the credit bureaus, they must remove the fraudulent accounts from your credit record. 
  • Keep the phone number of your investigator and give it to creditors and others who require verification of your case.